tips: 4 interesting things to do with vinegar

I have recently been having a bit of an autumn clean up - cleaning my windows with a final spritz of vinegar which makes windows seem to glow and stops them looking streaky.

I was curious about what other household uses vinegar might have, not just in the kitchen and I was able to find a whole plethora. In fact I found so many that I think there might be a book in it! (I suspect it has been done before!)


So in no particular order:

  1. Makes a great breath freshener - add a couple of tablespoons of cider vinegar and 1 tsp of salt to a glass of warm water and rinse your mouth for about 30 seconds.
  2. Shine up shower doors or bathroom grouting - use about 100ml of white vinegar, 50g bicarbonate of soda and 4 litres of warm water. This helps to restore the colour of the grouting and helps to remove water spots from shower doors.
  3. Brighten colours when washing, by adding 100ml of white vinegar to the wash cycle.
  4. I have just been berry picking and a great way of getting rid of berry stains is to wipe your hands with undiluted white vinegar. 
 

8 comments:

o cozinheiro este algarve said...

I swear by vinegar to clean ingrained stains on ceramic cookware like Le creuset casseroles etc. Put enough vinegar in pan to cover the bottom and top up with boiling water. Boil for about 20 minutes and watch the grime come off the sides and bottom of the pan or casserole. Give it a helping hand from time to time by brushing the surfaces with a washing up brush.Open a window while you are doing this as the smell of vinegar boiling can permeate the whole house!!!!!

Patricia (La Chatte Gitane) said...

I use it for anything and everything. I use a squirt in the washing up water, for cleaning and disinfecting counter tops, or just in the water to mop the floors.

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

Rupert - do you think this would work for "builders' tea" stains too? - at the moment I am using those tablets that you use to clean dentures! I am wondering if it would help to remove burnt on mozzarella too . . . my bugbear in the washing up stakes.

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

Patricia - I agree - a wonderful, natural(ish) product! An absolute marvel!

heathcliffe said...

I'm sure I've seen it used in laundry to remove odours. (presumably before the rinse cycle).

Also I'm sure everyone does this already, but de-scaling... boil it in yr kettle or use it neat to wipe surfaces. Also works if you need to unclog steam irons. :-)

That might be why it helps laundry... if you have hard water, it'll neutralise it and you'll get better use from your detergent.

If you have a plague of fruit flies, add a couple of drops of washing up liquid to vinegar and water and leave a small bowl of it out... it works like a wasp trap.

Apparently also keeps potatoes white when you boil them, and works on bee and jellyfish stings.

o cozinheiro este algarve said...

I think it probably would.Fill the mug or cup with vinegar and boiling water and leave for awhile then srub off with a scouring pad??

o cozinheiro este algarve said...

Heathcliffe you are a genius. I put a bowl of vinegar, water and washing up liquid by the fruit bowl last night and Eh voila this morning the bowl plays host to 18 fruit flies. Thank you thank you.

heathcliffe said...

Yay! Thanks for the feedback algarve. I'm glad it worked... Makes me feel like I'm using my limited powers for good.

Massive thanks for taking time to comment back. :-)

On the vinegar topic, I'm thinking of brewing some... Rach? Interested? If we can convert carton apple wine, we can make a gallon for a few quid. Then pickle everything, or have vinegar fights.